There’s a lot going on today that wasn’t going on yesterday. Third day’s the charm!
After removing excess bring last [Thursday] night, this [Friday] morning I could see the brine rose again somewhat, but not in any danger of overflowing (I’m glad I didn’t wait to remove the brine!).
I can see separation lines in the cabbage on many of the jars indicating CO2 activity. So far the screens are doing their job well, although shifting slightly and making the brine slightly cloudy.
Brine samples are showing definite signs of Leuconostoc mesenteroides – we have babies!
The cabbage in all jars is looking more yellow now, and less green.
The pH is consistent for all jars at a pH of 4.5 to 5, so it is dropping finally. Yay!
Glucose is still measuring the highest glucose on the scale – 2000 (or more) mgs of glucose per deciliter (dL), or 4 tsp glucose per liter (a mason jar is just shy of a liter).
The Jars & Brine Samples: 36 Hours Later
Here are the photographs of the jars on the third day, with any notes I jotted down. I have included one of the photos I took of the bacteria sample seen with my AmScope microscope for each jar.
Jar 1 (Cheesecloth), Day 3
There are some bubbles forming on the surface of the brine, showing we’re in business. If you compare this photo to the one from day 2, you will see that the brine did come up a little. No visible mold or yeast.
See how the pH is lowering?
Glucose still pretty high.
Jar 2 (Olive Oil), Day 3
Still some bubbles in the olive oil, and the brine has risen up a little. No visible mold or yeast. The brine sample was nice and “happy.”
Jar 3 (Water Baggy), Day 3
No visible mold or yeast in this jar. The baggy seems to be doing a good job so far. Although the glucose was still measuring high, it took the full 30 seconds to reach the max number.
Jar 4 (Cabbage Leaf held down by small jar), Day 3
You can see the cabbage has started to wilt a little bit. No visible mold or yeast, though.
Jar 5 (Cabbage Leaf, Shot Glass, White Lid), Day 3
Cabbage pieces are clearly not being held down very well by the shot glass and cabbage leaf. But it looks like it’s going well enough – no visible mold or yeast.
Jar 6 (White Lid), Day 3
I am liking how the screen is doing in this jar. No visible mold or yeast.
Jar 7 (White Lid with Baggy), Day 3
See the CO2 bubbles on the top? Going well. You can see the flat marble weight has shifted and isn’t staying down well. Lots of activity. No visible mold or yeast.
Jar 8 (White Lid with Airlock), Day 3
Sorry for the unfocused photo – I think you can make out CO2 bubbles along the rim. No visible mold or yeast.
Jar 9 (Metal Lid), Day 3
Brine is nice and full, with visible CO2. When I popped the cap off the glass test port, brine came out and onto the lid. This set-up does well for holding the pressure in, no doubt about that. No visible mold or yeast.
Jar 10 (Metal Lid with Airlock), Day 3
Lots of CO2 going on here – can you see it on the top of the rim? Brine was coming up in the glass test port when I went to take the sample. Had to wipe this one up, too. No visible mold or yeast.
Jar 11 (Cork with Airlock), Day 3
Bubbling, even foaming, around the top of the brine. No visible mold or yeast.
Jar 12 (Lacto-fermentation Air-Lock System generously donated by Cooking God’s Way), Day 3
This jar is doing very well. Nice and full and CO2 along the top (hard to see in this photo as the brine is nice and high). No visible mold or yeast.
Jar 14 (Pickl-It purchased through the generosity of GNOWFGLINS), Day 3
The CO2 has made its way to the top of the brine, which is nice and green. No visible mold or yeast.
Jar 15 (Harsch purchased by the generous donations largely from Homesteader’s Supply along with with GAPS Diet Journey, Hybrid Rasta Mama, and Dishrag Diaries), Day 3
There are tiny bubbles on the lid under the water. I wish I knew what was going on inside
Jar 16 (Bucket), Day 3
Lots of CO2 action – look at those bubbles! Brine is still browned (which you can see better here). No visible mold or yeast.
Jar 17 (Fido), Day 3
I didn’t sample this jar today, and neglected to take a photo (this is day 2′s photo). No visible mold or yeast.
Jar 18 (Salsa Jar), Day 3
Can you see the evidence of this jar vomiting? Can’t say these threads aren’t giving a tight seal. No visible mold or yeast.
So, have you voted on the jars you think will do the best? If not, you can vote here (scroll down).
Many of the supplies (including the cabbage) purchased for testing were mostly covered by the donations from Loving Our Guts, Pickle Me Too, Easy Natural Food, Common Sense Homesteading, Lisa M., Traditional Foods, Grocery Geek, Rachel C., The Urban Hearth, Hybrid Rasta Mama, Sarah M, Miriam R., and Leslie C. THANK YOU!
The Pickl-It was purchased through the generosity of GNOWFGLINS.
If you would like to contribute funds to this experiment, I would be ever grateful. Please send PayPal funds to: firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have a blog I would be happy to list it as a contributor. Thank you!
|Lea Harris founded Nourishing Treasures in 2006. A mom passionate about her family's health and well-being, Lea believes education is power. Encouraging others to take baby steps in the right direction of health for their families, Lea's goal is to raise awareness of what goes into our mouths and on our bodies, providing natural alternative information that promotes health and prevents disease by using traditional foods and nature's medicine.|
Disclaimer: I use affiliate links wherever possible. So if you click on a link, and make a purchase, I might make a small commission, but it doesn't cost you any more.